Thursday, November 27, 2014

Everest Base Camp Trek Day 14 - Jorsalle to Lukla to Kathmandu

We made sure to wake up extra early on our last day walking the Everest Base camp trail since we had not pre-booked our flight and were very eager to sleep in Kathmandu that night! The alarm rang at 5:30 and after a quick bite to eat we continued our descent. 

Donkey carrying gaz bottle
You don't want to get stuck on a suspended bridge when these bad boys are crossing!


Can you believe this is a porter carrying huge wooden planks! Check out his feet peeping underneath.
I won’t linger on my aches and pains as I have done so enough in previous posts, but it was with a great big smile that we arrived in Lukla after 4 hours 30 minutes, at 11:00. 


We quickly went to the airport and after a bit of confusion we managed to get on the 2 o’clock flight back to the capital! We had just enough time to grab a snack from the German bakery across the road before checking in. We had made it!! We were all in one piece despite my limp and sunburnt lips, and Edgar’s red eyes! The first thing I did while waiting for the plane was to take my trekking boots off and to put my flips flops on with a sigh of relief.

Richard and I are happy!

Our plane!
It had taken us 14 days in total to walk the Everest Base Camp trek: 10 ½  days to ascend and 3 ½  days to descend! Overall, I spent 18$ per day on food and accommodation, for a total of 600$ including flights to and from Kathmandu. In my next post, I will write more about the facilities you can expect on the trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment