Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thai Massage Mae Ow Ka?


I had two Thai massages so far – surprisingly only two, considering the amount of massage parlors and how cheap they are (cheapest in Patong being 200 baht an hour, approx. 6,50$). Most Thai massages take place with little privacy on a thin hard mattress on the floor, aligned with dozens more, only separated by a thin curtain. The process can be summarized as being “gently” bent, pressed and squeezed by barefoot masseurs. I heard that Thai massage traditions go back twenty centuries, conferring the same beneficence on the giver as the receiver. It is based on the theory that invisible lines of force run through the body. Muscles are worked and released, after a slow loosening. Another technique involves cutting off the circulation entirely in one area for a minute. There’s also some pinching and light hits, harder to describe. Movements and stretches are always gradual so you wind up in crazy positions without much strain. It’s astonishing how much pressure the masseuse can apply! At times, you feel like she weighs as much as a truck. It feels like a very thorough engine tune-up more than a massage!!! After the feet and legs, she works her way up to your back, arms, shoulders, and finally the head and face. It was disarming at first when my masseuse started a lively conversation with the masseuse two feet away. I thought I was supposed to relax? Nonetheless, I left invigorated and a bit groggy, feeling like I had been reborn. It is definitely an experience I will repeat as soon as I get my first paycheque!

No comments:

Post a Comment